Welcome to the Class 6 page
Our PE day is Thursday but it would be beneficial for your child to have their P.E. kits in at all times.
Homework is set on a Friday and is due in on the following Wednesday.
Every morning we will have 20 minutes of quiet reading so it is important that your child has their book on a daily basis. A guided reading session will also take place for alternate groups. During this session the content of a book will be discussed and the children will verbally answer comprehension questions. As part of your child's homework, they will be asked to read a section of their guided reading book in advance to prepare for these sessions.
Over the course of the term, every child will be given a slot on a Tuesday to come to the front of the class to discuss a book they have enjoyed. This will be known as ‘Book Talk Tuesday’.
Core Skills will be a part of our daily timetable. The children will have a combination of Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling, Wizard Maths, Arithmetic and Handwriting.
Please don't hesitate in contacting me via my school email address if you have any further queries.
At Brill School, English, maths and core skills are taught through focused daily lessons; usually in the morning. But for other lessons we have in recent year moved away from narrow subject based teaching and have developed a curriculum that is imaginative, child focused and cross curricular.
Class 6’s thematic topic units for this year are:
Click on the topic units for an overview document for the term's work or on the subject links for more information about the long term curriculum in each specific area.
Class Teacher: Mrs Wilkinson Teaching Assistant: Mrs Nicholls
Ways you can help support your child’s learning in school are:
- Some children will be given spellings to learn weekly. This is an extra provision and it is essential that your child spends time learning these with you at home for the intervention to be successful.
- Please continue to read with your children at home and discuss the books content and their likes and dislike about the book. This will help them in becoming better readers and will ensure they are exploring different authors work.
Encourage your child to read (and share with you) the texts from our Brill School Year 6 recommended book list
- The children will have spelling log books in their bags every Friday and these may contain some spellings that they found tricky during the week. Please could you spend time helping your child to learn the spellings and patterns. These need to be returned to school every Monday ready for our daily spelling sessions.
- Your children will be taking part in daily Wizard Maths sessions which helps them to recall their timetables quickly and confidently, any practice of times tables at home would be a great use of their time.
- The children will be having regular mental maths tests and this is done under time pressure, ( e.g. 10 seconds to answer each question). Any practice of this or quick recall of multiplication facts would be of huge benefit to the children and will help them to be successful in many areas of Maths.
Spelling and grammar:
Curriculum- Year Six: